Make #LookUpAndGander successful by retelling the story of hope, creating a vicarious experience that motivates people to be of service to others.
Idea: Use the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle as a platform to communicate the ideas from the musical Come From Away. Questions in the crossword will be about themes in the musical. The crossword puzzle will also serve as a vehicle to get people off their phone.
The New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle.
Five Sunday puzzles in the weeks that lead up to September 11.
1. Broadway Musical received seven Tony Nominations.
2. Town in Newfoundland that welcomed rerouted travelers during 9/11
3. A synonym for a warm reception
4. Operation by the Canadian government to handle the 6,122 passengers in Newfoundland.
5. The Prime Minister of this country attended a performance of Come from Away.
6. “Tonight we honor what was lost, but we also commemorate what we found,” is an ode to humanity in triumph of ____.
Come From Away
Build awareness for the crossword puzzles with posts on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Work with Will Shortz to create the five puzzles.
Writer: Talia Berniker
Strategist: Terrence Lewis
Art Director: Emily D. Haugbro
Note: On September 11, 2001 Kevin Tuerff was on a flight from Paris to New York when his flight was rerouted to Gander, Newfoundland. Tuerff along with 6,000+ people were stranded in Gander. During this time the people of Gander showed empathy and hospitality. The Broadway musical Come From Away is based on this story.